Every year we report our activities to our funder, Health and Care Research Wales. Here you can find out about the range of health economics expertise we provide and learn more about our excellent case studies.
Here are our recent key papers:
- Thomas, R. L., Winfield, T. G., Prettyjohns, M., Dunstan, F. D., Cheung, W. Y., Anderson, P. M., … & Owens, D. R. (2020). Cost-effectiveness of biennial screening for diabetes related retinopathy in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes compared to annual screening. The European Journal of Health Economics, 21, 993-1002.
- Lowin, J. L., Poudel, A. N., Price, P. E., & Potokar, T. S. (2020). A structured review to assess the current status of cost-based burns research in Nepal. Journal of Burn Care & Research. doi: 10.1093/jbcr/iraa125
- Meier, G., Watkins, J., McEwan, P., & Pockett, R. (2020). Resource use and direct medical costs of acute respiratory illness in the UK based on linked primary and secondary care records from 2001 to 2009. PLoS ONE, 15(8), e0236472
- Topcu, G., Griffiths, H., Bale, C., Trigg, E., Clarke, S., Potter, K., Mhizha-Murira, J., Drummond, A., Evangelou, N., Fitzsimmons, D., & Nair, R. (2020). Psychosocial adjustment to multiple sclerosis diagnosis: A meta-review of systematic reviews. Clinical Psychology Review, 82, 101923
- Anderson, P., Lyttleton-Smith, J., Kosnes, L., Read, S., Blackmore H., & Williams, Z. (2020). Well-being. In M. Llewellyn, F. Verity, & S. Wallace (Eds.), Evaluation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014: Literature Review. Cardiff: Welsh Government, GSR report number 60/2020.
- Verity, F., Read, S. & Richards, J. (2020). ‘Chapter 4: Prevention and early intervention’ in Llewellyn, M., Verity, F. and Wallace, S. (eds) Evaluation of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014: Literature Review. Cardiff. Welsh Government, GSR report number 60/2020.
- Rogers, S. N., Allmark, C., Bekiroglu, F., Edwards, R. T., Fabbroni, G., Flavel, R., Highet, V., Ho, M. W. S., Humphris, G. M., Jones, T. M., Khattak, O., Lancaster, J., Loh, C., Lowe, D., Lowies, C., Macareavy, D., Moor, J., Ong, T. K., Prasai, A., Roland, N., Semple, C., Spencer L. H.,..& Kanatas, A. (2020). Improving quality of life through the routine use of the patient concerns inventory for head and neck cancer patients: baseline results in a cluster preference randomised controlled trial. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 277(12), 3435.
- Winrow, E., & Edwards, R. T. (2020). Programme budgeting and marginal analysis, and developing a business case for a new service. In M. Gulliford & E. Jessop. Healthcare public health: Improving health services through population science. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- Jones, C., Hartfiel, N., Brocklehurst, P., Lynch, M., & Edwards, R. T. (2020). Social Return on Investment Analysis of the Health Precinct Community Hub for Chronic Conditions. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(14), 5249.
- Slade, P., West, H., Thomson, G., Lane, S., Spiby, H., Edwards, R. T., Charles, J. M., Garrett, C., Flanagan, B., Treadwell, M., & Hayden, E. (2020). STRAWB2 (Stress and Wellbeing After Childbirth): a randomised controlled trial of targeted self‐help materials to prevent post‐traumatic stress disorder following childbirth. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 127(7), 886-896.
- Hartfiel, N., Sadera, G., Treadway, V., Lawrence, C., & Edwards, R. T. (2020). A clinical librarian in a hospital critical care unit may generate a positive return on investment. Health Information and Libraries Journal. doi: 10.1111/hir.12332
- Roberts, J. L., Williams, J., Griffith, G. M., Jones, R. S., Hastings, R. P., Crane, R., Bryning, L., Hoare, Z., & Edwards, R. T. (2020). Soles of the feet meditation intervention for people with intellectual disability and problems with anger and aggression—a feasibility study. Mindfulness, 11(10), 2371-2385.
- Hughes, D. A. (2020). Acute chloroquine poisoning: A comprehensive experimental toxicology assessment of the role of diazepam. British Journal of Pharmacology, 177(21).
- Bray, N., Kolehmainen, N., McAnuff, J., Tanner, L., Tuersley, L., Beyer F, et al. (2020). Powered mobility interventions for very young children with mobility limitations to aid participation and positive development: the EMPoWER evidence synthesis. Health Technology Assessment, 24(50).
- Bray, N., Spencer, L. H., & Edwards, R. T. (2020). Preference-based measures of health-related quality of life in congenital mobility impairment: a systematic review of validity and responsiveness. Health Economics Review, 10, 1-38.
- Bray, N., Edwards, R. T. (2020). Preference-based measurement of mobility-related quality of life: developing the MobQoL-7D health state classification system. Disability and Rehabilitation, 1-15.
- Rutter, M. D., Evans, R., Hoare, Z., Von Wagner, C., Deane, J., Emaily, S., Larkin, T., Edwards, R., Yeo, S. T., Spencer, L. H., Holmes, E., Saunders, B. P., Rees, C. J., Tsiamoulos, P., BEintaris, I. On behalf of the WASh trial team. (2020). The WASh multicentre randomised controlled trial: Water-assisted sigmoidoscopy in English NHS bowel scope screening. Gut. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2020-321918
- Bray, N., Spencer, L. H., Tuersley, L., & Edwards, R. T. (2020). Development of the MobQoL patient reported outcome measure for mobility-related quality of life. Disability and Rehabilitation, 1-10.
- Charles, J. M., Harrington, D. M., Davies, M. J., Edwardson, C. L., Gorely, T., Bodicoat, D. H., Kamlesh, K., Sherar, L. B., Yates, T., Edwards, R. T. (2019). Micro-costing and a cost-consequence analysis of the ‘Girls Active’ programme: A cluster randomised controlled trial. PLoS ONE, 14(8), e0221276.
- das Nair ,R., Bradshaw, L. E., Carpenter, H., Clarke, S., Day, F., Drummond, A., Fitzsimmons, D., Harris, S., Montgomery, A. A., Newby, G., Sackley, C., Lincoln, N. B. (2019). A group memory rehabilitation programme for people with traumatic brain injuries: the ReMemBrIn RCT. Health Technology Assessment, 23(16), 1-194.
- Davies, E., Phillips, C., Rance, J., Sewell, B. (2019). Examining patterns in opioid prescribing for non-cancer-related pain in Wales: preliminary data from a retrospective cross-sectional study using large datasets. British Journal of Pain, 13(3), 145-158.
- Deluca, P., Coulton, S., Alam, M. F., Boniface, S., Donoghue, K., Gilvarry, E., Kaner, E., Lynch, E., Maconochie, I., McArdle, P., McGovern, R., Newbury-Birch, D., Patton, R., Pellatt-Higgins, T., Phillips, C., Phillips, T., Pockett, R., Russell, I. T., Strang, J., & Drummond, C. (2020). Screening and brief interventions for adolescent alcohol use disorders presenting through emergency departments: a research programme including two RCTs. Southampton (UK): NIHR Journals Library; Programme Grants for Applied Research, No. 8.2.
- Lincoln, N. B., Bradshaw, L. E., Constantinescu, C. S., Day, F., Drummond, A. E., Fitzsimmons, D., Harris, S., Montgomery, A. A., & das Nair, R. (2020). Group cognitive rehabilitation to reduce the psychological impact of multiple sclerosis on quality of life: the CRAMMS RCT. Health Technology Assessment, 24(4), 1-182.
- Noyes, J., Allen, D., Carter, C., Edwards, D., Edwards, R. T., Russell, D., Russell, I. T., Spencer, L. H., Sylvestre, Y., Whitaker, R., Yeo, S. T., & Gregory, J. W. (2020). Standardised self-management kits for children with type 1 diabetes: pragmatic randomised trial of effectiveness and cost-effectiveness. BMJ Open, 10(3), e032163.
- Pine, C. M., Adair, P. M., Burnside, G., Brennan, L., Sutton, L., Edwards, R. T., Ezeofor, V., et al. (2020). Dental RECUR randomized trial to prevent caries recurrence in children. Journal of Dental Research, 99(2), 168-174.
- Sewell, B., Jones, M., Gray, H., Wilkes, H., Lloyd-Bennett, C., Beddow, K., Bevan, M., & Fitzsimmons, D. (2020). Rapid cancer diagnosis for patients with vague symptoms: a cost-effectiveness study. British Journal of General Practice, 70(692), e186-192.